Sunday, November 19, 2006

Marriage of Convenience

Okay so on Friday, something really bizarre happened. There is this Arab Muslim lady that works in our local Target. Well, my family and I went in there on Friday evening and she starts talking to my mom about how her and her family (minus a 20something son) came over here from wherever almost five years ago. He couldn't come over because he was 21 and apparently if you're 21+, you've got to find your own way into the US. So she starts asking my mom all about me and my sister and talking about how we seem like such nice girls. Awww.....not so much. She starts asking specifically about me and if I'm single, what I do, etc. Then she proceeds to tell my mom that she's looking for someone to marry her son and sponsor him into the country. WTH?! This cow tells my mom that she's willing to pay us for the trouble and that the marriage will only last a little while. After which we are both free to move on. So, of course, my mom gets completely pissed off. Not only could she not believe the audacity of this woman but my family is super sensitive about the whole immigration thing after my sister's first marriage. He only wanted a Green Card and no one knew that. Anyway, my mom went off on her. Told her that she should be ashamed of herself; temporary marriage is wrong in Islam and marrying someone for money in exchange for getting them into the country is a crime. She threatened to report her. She asked her where she got her nerve, we weren't some dirt poor family that she could take advantage of. We didn't need or want her money. She told her however her son gets over here is not her problem and she doesn't care if he never makes it over here. Go mom! My mom totally rocks. You should never try to mess with her or her family. She's totally going to come after you. I just don't know where people get their nerve. I mean, she's hardly ever spoken to us. Frankly, my sisters and I avoided her because we thought she seemed a little off. How right we were. Not only is she off, she's a CRIMINAL. A wannabe criminal anyway. Which is just as bad.
Oh, the things that happen to my family. We are weirdness magnets.

7 comments:

bushraaa said...

SHEESH, that is messed up... props to your mom for telling her off! I woulda done the same, if not worse...

Atifa said...

Dude don't they have illegal agencies set up for that stuff? Why not pay some matchmaker in whereever she's from to do that? Why go to the common folk? She should know that respectful Muslims don't prostitute themselves like that.

Anonymous said...

That's shameful! I love your mum!

Anonymous said...

WOW. That's some nerve she has! Your mom ROCKS though, good for her!

Anonymous said...

That's so bad and give such a bad name for arranged marriage, immigrants, muslim and the family reunion act.

Unknown said...

Hi, just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your blog, have you stopped writed?

I have recently writing a blog with a very similar theme to yours and was wondering whether you could give me any tips or support in building it up?

its: muslimah-marriage.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi, just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your blog, have you stopped writed?

I have recently writing a blog with a very similar theme to yours and was wondering whether you could give me any tips or support in building it up?

its: muslimah-marriage.blogspot.com