Saturday, January 20, 2007

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey y'all! Guess who's back? I'm so excited. It's been so long. I feel so out of the loop. It's going to take me a little while to catch up on what's been going on with everyone. I don't even know where to start with myself. It's not that anything major has happened, it's just that I haven't shared with y'all in so long. It's been like over a month.

Alright, first and foremost, I will soon be turning 25(Lord, take me now). My birthday is in March. In light of that, people have felt compelled to warn me that I am on my way to being a spinster. Great times. That's always good news. Really. It warms my heart. My great-grandmother told me over the holidays that I really need to get married soon because once I'm older I can "hang it up." "You don't want to be some tired old spinster, girl." You think? No, my life's goal is to be a dried up old maid. Fortunately, she's old, really old, so I don't pay her much attention. But everybody else is trying to weigh in on it. My mother, however, was "helpful" enough to, again, tell me that a lot of people don't marry until well into their 30s. Hmmm, yes, that's lovely. Really.

The sad part is, I'm not even hating being single right now. I'm kind of enjoying it. There are other things I'm trying to accomplish, albeit not at the expense of my love life. I mean, it's not like I'm sitting around some tired soon to be spinster. I'm trying to establish a career, get more involved in the community, etc. Of course, I have been warned (only by the older ladies) against seeming too busy. Apparently, no man wants a woman that doesn't have time for him. Meanwhile, it's not like my hours can be filled by waiting for Mr. Right to fall into my lap. I do have to do something. Of course, the truth of the matter is, most men don't want a woman whose entire life is him. It's very clingy.

Anyway, in the meantime, it's about the career. I can't stand the fact that my college education is going to such total waste. I mean, temping and retail? This is totally unacceptable. Since temping is keeping me as poor as a church mouse and I hate it, we're done with that. I'm only keeping the retail job for my discount, it's 40%. I'm now back to job hunting. As soon as I find a full-time job that can be my bread and butter, I'm going to start doing freelance event planning. One of my New Years resolutions was to take control of my life and that's what I'm doing.

11 comments:

Atifa said...

Best of luck with the job hunt. What did you get your degree in?

If it makes you feel better, I'm turning 26 in Feb. :)

singlemuslimah said...

My degree is in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations.

Anonymous said...

My birthday is in March too!!! I always knew we were going to click because we are great. But, I never knew we are so great :)

AKA said...

I can completely relate to your mindset right now! Everyone around me is getting married or talking marriage without any end in sight and it's so very frustrating when, like you, I don't mind that I'm single. If Mr.Right came along tomorrow then that'd be great, but if not, then that's ok too! Right now I just want to concentrate on finishing school and figure out what path to take from there. But at the same time, I feel I should be elsewhere in my life and have everything figured out (since I'll be 25 in October) like everyone else seems to have done.

Nothing to do but pray for the best and keep faith in God! Glad to see you're back to blogging :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job hunt! I think you're right to focus on yourself and your career. It's not like you can just sit around and hope that a man comes around. I think the older ladies come from a different mindset, know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job search! I hope you find something fantabulous soon! I can relate though, I turned 25 two weeks ago and its been quite the quarter life crisis. And of course all the aunties informed me that I've passed my best before date and everyone around me is getting married. I know that things will fall into place as they should and the Lord knows whats best for us anyway.

singlemuslimah said...

Suroor: March babies are so fabulous.
AKA: Yes, it's very frustrating. I do feel like, given my age, I should be elsewhere. I should have the ring and the career; the solid life. After all, I did the same thing as everyone else. One of my friends just bought a house! I was totally floored. Help! I'm getting left behind LOL.
Working: You are so right. In their day women had a few kids by my age. It was a different time.
Ruby: According to some, I'm almost past my expiration date too.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you are back.

Atifa said...

We can enjoy our singleness together. :) Most of my friend are on their first kid.

Actually when you look at it, right now are some of our best days. Sure we'd all like that ring and a man that goes with it, but think about how free we are. We're educated and have jobs (or are working on them) that give us cash we can spend w/o any responsibility or anyone to answer too. Once we get married, that won't be the same, ya know.

bushraaa said...

I say, enjoy every phase of your life because it is special in its own way. So far, I have experienced singledom and I loved it. Right now is engaged life, and that is nice too... inshaAllah married life and parenthood will also be amazing, but the most important thing to remember is that Allah(swt) is the best of planners. Whatever He has willed, is what is to happen, and at the exact time that He decides. So, I say sit back and enjoy the ride ;)

Sarah said...

I turned 26 in November. It's much less freaky than turning 25, trust me. My mom got married at 21 and had me when she was 24. That used to freak me out...now I realize that although I don't have the exact life I pictured, the life that God has chosen for me is pretty darn awesome, and yours is too, I'm sure!

Good luck with your job search!